Friday, March 26, 2010

Networking by any other name ...

What's the secret to productive social networking? I've been thinking alot about this lately. Since I started experimenting with all these new methods of marketing my business online, on several occasions I've had to try to explain to the lay people among my family and friends just what it is I'm doing or trying to accomplish.

So after some serious thought on the subject, the best analogy I can come up with for myself is that my Website is like an ad I'd place in the local newspaper. My business Blog should be like a press release or a story the local paper runs on a new business and what it's all about. Facebook and LinkedIn are like belonging to the local Chamber of Commerce or a professional organization. And, last but not least, Twitter is like networking. Easy peasy!

At least when I look at it this way, it all makes a certain amount of sense to me. So in keeping with this logic, my next step should be to come up with an online marketing strategy just as I would have a traditional marketing strategy. In the above analogy, neither component works well without the others. Now the trick is to get them working all together like a well oiled machine. Easy peasy? Hmmm ... We'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment